play.ageofruin.net

currently playing

supervised_user_circle

Discord Server

Siege and siege battles suggestions

Rashidamon

Apr 4, 2020
Rashidamon's siege and siege battles suggestions

Sieges and Siege Battles are necessary in order to claim territory from enemies in areas that have development/buildings. Field battles are required to push forward into territory that has buildings.

I think the staff team wanted to say "field battles are required to push forward into territory that has no buildings" as sieges are the ones to push forward into enemy territory with buildings.

===============

Sieges must be declared at a siege focus within range with staff approval.

I suggest that a number of blocks is specified in this case (or allow players to attack the most nearby coastal city if the number of blocks is too far away) to polish the rules more and making this part more objective, as people might start complaining about how evil the staff team is.

===============

Any settlement of at least 6 development may serve as a siege focus.

While I agree with the idea of using development to make a difference between a land battle and a siege, I disagree with the number. I personally think it should be at least 8 or 10, but I want to hear other feedback.

===============

Attackers suffer conditional debuffs depending on where they are attacking.

This debuffs could depend wether they are fighting in harsh terrain or not.

===============

Sieges can be turned into field battles if the defenders choose to meet them before the three days occur.
A siege begins 24 hours after it is declared on the forums.
When besieged, an area will lose its income, and pay its developments worth daily out of the nation’s bank.
For every IRL day that passes after a siege is declared, the attacking nation loses 5% of their maximum manpower daily
Siege Battles may be declared by either the attacker or the defender.

I have a doubt on these ones, since I do not know if the server uses the "declaring" system or the "date" system. The first one was used in servers like Europa Craftalis, Rising Empires, amongst others, however by personal experience I prefer the "date" system. In the "declaring" system a lot of battle avoiding happens and people blame it on staff, plus normally it is exploited by people who enter online just to battle when a random enemy member is online. In the "date" system, both sides' leaders agree to a date, and they cannot complain afterwards because it is an objective system rather than a subjective one.

Therefore, if we use the "date" system these rules are obsolete, as defenders could stall time blaming it on not being able to fight at earlier dates and viceversa. The siege could still be posted on the forum and then the defenders could choose either to fight outside the besieged area or remain inside their defensive positions, plus agreeing to a date with the attackers in the same post.

===============

Harsh terrain constitutes of swamps, mountains, terrain surrounded mostly or completely in natural water formations, and other difficult, yet natural areas that would realistically hinder combat. This definition is up to staff discretion.

I would remove the last part, "yet natural areas that would realistically hinder combat. This definition is up to staff discretion." I believe that the staff team should focus on, as I said previously, removing all subjectivness from the rules as it could bring massive "staff bias" complaints. The definition could be swamps, mountains, hills, taigas, mountains and deserts.

===============

Before a siege, both sides will have a 10 minutes truce to build siege weaponry. Tools may only be used for the express purpose of building them. After 10 minutes, both sides will have a 5 minute grace period in which both sides must dispose of their tools. After this time, no tools will be allowed during warfare, and combat may begin.

I have a good suggestion on this one. Place 3 random ladders around the walls or the fortress of the besieged area. Ladders should be free as they are extremely easy to defend and in real life very cheap. However, if the besiegers want better siege equipment, they can pay the staff to open the gate after ten/twenty minutes have passed, symbolizing a battering ram, or can also pay the staff to spawn a siege tower near the enemy walls with doors that can only be opened from outside with wooden pressure plates. The payment should be decided by staff if they implement this suggestion. This is a model that I did today:

925 926

===============

Time and date must be decided upon at least 3 days in advance by both parties.
Declarations must be after a date has been decided.

These two are a bit confusing: declarations or dates? It is a mix of the "declaring" and the "date" system.

I also want to suggest that land gains are realistic, as many servers either give too much territory to the attacker thanks to a random battle or they only give small bits having a lot of battles over forest trees. Let's say that Denmark wanted to invade Sweden:

In this case, we have a realistic approach to land gains, since these battles are supposed to be decisive ones, not skirmishes. After all, Alexander conquered the whole of the Persian Empire in five decisive battles more or less. A "warscore" system could be implemented too. I suggest asking either OlivierPanda or Svedzko about it.

choochoo500

May 13, 2020
MA
Honestly, didn't read it all, but I agree.

Also, hold up.
"A siege begins 24 hours after it is declared on the forums. "
Tf is this? It won't take 24 hours for someone to validate a siege declaration! I only get posts validated in that time by begging staff, or asking them to read it!

I'm so confused, lmao

Umejii

Owner
Staff member
Owner
Sep 18, 2019
Belgium
www.umejii.com
Honestly, didn't read it all, but I agree.

Also, hold up.
"A siege begins 24 hours after it is declared on the forums. "
Tf is this? It won't take 24 hours for someone to validate a siege declaration! I only get posts validated in that time by begging staff, or asking them to read it!

I'm so confused, lmao
Your statement is very false, you're usually just incredibly impatient and bother us about reading your applications either way.