play.ageofruin.net

currently playing

supervised_user_circle

Discord Server

Stale Politics

BoxaRocks

Jun 29, 2020
Many players have talked among themselves, including me, that the server is dying due to the stale politics in the geopolitical RP server. I tried changing this by doing multiple things, but a certain very strong Hugbox is ruining it. I recommend extending the "max 2 allies in war" rule (and tech) to just being in general. A nation can have a maximum of 1 alliance, and if they get the tech they can get up to 3 and call them in. (each tech giving +1 alliance)

choochoo500

May 13, 2020
MA
Many players have talked among themselves, including me, that the server is dying due to the stale politics in the geopolitical RP server. I tried changing this by doing multiple things, but a certain very strong Hugbox is ruining it. I recommend extending the "max 2 allies in war" rule (and tech) to just being in general. A nation can have a maximum of 1 alliance, and if they get the tech they can get up to 3 and call them in. (each tech giving +1 alliance)
I agree that politics are getting stale. Players would rather complain rather than let stuff get done. The HRE-Pomerania war should've happened a long time ago, yet players complained about minor details.

Staff aren't much better, either. They keep entertaining this mindless complaining, and instead of testing out ideas that might have a chance of working, they just fight back and keep letting players argue with them.

Please fix stale politics!

Reactions: BoxaRocks

Cocohop

Apr 16, 2020
Staff aren't much better, either. They keep entertaining this mindless complaining, and instead of testing out ideas that might have a chance of working, they just fight back and keep letting players argue with them.
?? but when I say "This will be done, end of discussion" people complain that I'm not hearing their voices.
Pls bro cut me some slack
Useful Edit: We've designated this Saturday to be a staff meeting day, and I'll bring up this thread

choochoo500

May 13, 2020
MA
?? but when I say "This will be done, end of discussion" people complain that I'm not hearing their voices.
Pls bro cut me some slack
Useful Edit: We've designated this Saturday to be a staff meeting day, and I'll bring up this thread
Okay, ty.

What I meant by you guys "entertaining this mindless complaining" I mean that you let it happen, argue with them, and try to make fun of/roast people.

Note1765

Jun 13, 2020
@BoxaRocks that concept would Ruin much of the RP in the Active Baltic countries, As such it would ruin more RP Situations than fixing the Problem. Such Multiple allied Kingdoms did occur In real life in the Forum of the Hanseatic League which was founded in the 12th century.

I agree with @choochoo500 that the war should have been over weeks ago.

redmantoo2

Apr 1, 2020
The problem is no one can declare war because then they get gang banged which you can defend that saying "Then they should get allies" but then It's literally just one side of the world against the other with a few neutral countries then.

Note1765

Jun 13, 2020
@redmantoo2 there was a meeting with Poland to Prevent the War, In which Poland Refused to not get involved they seek to Annex all of Pomerania while HRE wants a small section of it. So no we didnt gang up on Poland, While the War declaration on Pomerania was a thing long before Denmark and Sweden joined the Declaration.

We didnt suddenly say screw this nation here.

Denmark has actual Motives behind its declaration, HRE had actual Motives more so than Denmark.

redmantoo2

Apr 1, 2020
@redmantoo2 there was a meeting with Poland to Prevent the War, In which Poland Refused to not get involved they seek to Annex all of Pomerania while HRE wants a small section of it. So no we didnt gang up on Poland, While the War declaration on Pomerania was a thing long before Denmark and Sweden joined the Declaration.

We didnt suddenly say screw this nation here.

Denmark has actual Motives behind its declaration, HRE had actual Motives more so than Denmark.
That is entirely irrelevant to what I said. I am saying that due to the alliances built no one can touch certain nations without themselves getting big alliances.

Note1765

Jun 13, 2020
The answer is Simple play the Diplomatic game then. why should a Nation be punished for RPing properly to get allies? Politics is a game, to win at it you must play the game. For a Nation to not do so is their own fault then they had ample amount of time to do so. So again I ask why should nations that ACTIVELY Play the Political Game in RP suffer for the Incompetence of other Nations?

Such thinking (Political and Nation relations Management) and RP should be Encouraged, not stifled. Was it a dick move by the HRE, yes, did this Declaration of war (pending) go on way to long yes. But in the Modern world and Especially the Medieval world such relationships are required or a nation will fall.

For instance CK2 you had to manage Relations with the Pope to prevent from being Excommunicated, Your Heir so he doesn't kill you, Your Brother so he doesn't take the Throne, Your Dukes and vassals so they don't revolt. Other Nations so they don't Make false claims to take land. The list goes on and on.

Medieval Europe was very cut throat at this time .

Whether it be Friendships between Nations or Political marriages between royal families, NOT participating in the Game tends to lead to such results.

Im hoping I explained why it is important to Manage such things. @redmantoo2 (I'm not trying to piss you off or argue about "Then they should get allies" but in this Time period such nations that failed to do so fell easy prey to their neighbor

Last edited:

redmantoo2

Apr 1, 2020
I'm not saying punish them for RP I am saying that there is a fairly large alliance now that cannot be challenged.

Note1765

Jun 13, 2020
and Whose fault is that due to not playing the game as said above @redmantoo2 .

Im not saying it isnt Bull, Im saying that Pomerania had ample amount of time. And then 3 extra weeks

I appreciate the Debate about this tho Redmantoo, it has been interesting

BoxaRocks

Jun 29, 2020
The answer is Simple play the Diplomatic game then. why should a Nation be punished for RPing properly to get allies? Politics is a game, to win at it you must play the game. For a Nation to not do so is their own fault then they had ample amount of time to do so. So again I ask why should nations that ACTIVELY Play the Political Game in RP suffer for the Incompetence of other Nations?

Such thinking (Political and Nation relations Management) and RP should be Encouraged, not stifled. Was it a dick move by the HRE, yes, did this Declaration of war (pending) go on way to long yes. But in the Modern world and Especially the Medieval world such relationships are required or a nation will fall.

For instance CK2 you had to manage Relations with the Pope to prevent from being Excommunicated, Your Heir so he doesn't kill you, Your Brother so he doesn't take the Throne, Your Dukes and vassals so they don't revolt. Other Nations so they don't Make false claims to take land. The list goes on and on.

Medieval Europe was very cut throat at this time .

Whether it be Friendships between Nations or Political marriages between royal families, NOT participating in the Game tends to lead to such results.

Im hoping I explained why it is important to Manage such things. @redmantoo2 (I'm not trying to piss you off or argue about "Then they should get allies" but in this Time period such nations that failed to do so fell easy prey to their neighbors)

WW1 in 1113 is not the politics that should be happening. RecraftedCivilizations died 2 versions ago BECAUSE of this EXACT thing happening, 2 huge mega alliances dunking on inactive or small neutral nations. Also I find your CK2 reference ironic because Dod's answer to his brother threatening to take the throne is OOC kicking him and all his supporters from the faction even though the plot didn't exist. And if medieval europe was cutthroat why is there already a European Giga alliance of hugs and friendship?

I honestly either think you don't understand what Mr. Red Lovebug is saying, or you do and are trying desperately to keep your hugbox of lies and dog in a room of fire saying "This is Fine" meme, but it's not.

I genuinely like this server, and it has taken so many steps to stop from failing from seeing how other servers like this have failed, but it missed this one step. The geopolitics here is stale. Period. Because of giga-alliance hugboxes that exist and the only way for anything interesting to happen is to join that giga-alliance or make your own.

Additionally, I agree with your point that such things need to be managed, but wouldn't it make it WAY more fun to have a max alliance number? So that you HAVE to manage it instead of just allying everyone in the universe and being safe? You kinda destroy your own point there.

Note1765

Jun 13, 2020
@BoxaRocks Your missing the Point the WAR on Pomerania WAS HAPPENING before the Alliance.
The Alliance happened a week ago if not a week and a half while the war was pending for 3 weeks now almost a month.

Poland got involved after it was formed and Threatened Denmarks trade which went against the Alliance with the HRE and Sweden, No apology no nothing from Poland. We got involved because of Poland NOT Pomerania

to say the War was only gonna happen due to our Alliance is complete BS. Exspecially when it was occuring in the first place

Last edited:

choochoo500

May 13, 2020
MA
The problem is no one can declare war because then they get gang banged which you can defend that saying "Then they should get allies" but then It's literally just one side of the world against the other with a few neutral countries then.
You're part of the problem. The war got delayed because you kept pointing out minor things that could be easily fixed if you just went "hey, this should probably be fixed for x reason"

You were the main reason, in my mind, as to why the war just wouldn't start. (Besides dropi, of course. He's right to complain, since he's literally the guy getting declared war on)

Pav33

Helper
Staff member
Helper
Sep 30, 2019
Right, so to address the accusation that there is some big hugbox, I'm not buying it. I don't think it's genuine to throw shade while trying to portray it as protecting the player's privacy, so I'm just going to explain the situation as it's quite obvious what this is mentioning. Sweden is currently allied to the Holy Roman Empire and has a pending one with Kiev. But here's the trick, I'm technically only allied to the Central government, i.e. whoever is the Emperor. I wasn't going to join this war until the Emperor made it clear he was. Remember, this was initially just going to be Prussia, a substate of the HRE v Pomerania. But then a legitimately WWI-esque situation ensued where because of roleplay events Poland was somehow allowed into the war, prompting the rest of the Empire to join in and call upon her alliances. I have no alliance with Denmark, just a trade treaty, and I don't even think the trade treaty has been posted yet. The only reason this "giga-alliance" got involved is as a reaction to sides previously uninvolved in the war suddenly joining on the side of Pomerania, requiring action.

P.S. As I'm apart of the moderation team, I have no say in decisions by upper management and the roleplay coordination team, meaning my affect on roleplay other then as a nation leader is little to none, so don't accuse me or my coworkers of bias.

Reactions: LeBustinJustin

choochoo500

May 13, 2020
MA
Right, so to address the accusation that there is some big hugbox, I'm not buying it. I don't think it's genuine to throw shade while trying to portray it as protecting the player's privacy, so I'm just going to explain the situation as it's quite obvious what this is mentioning. Sweden is currently allied to the Holy Roman Empire and has a pending one with Kiev. But here's the trick, I'm technically only allied to the Central government, i.e. whoever is the Emperor. I wasn't going to join this war until the Emperor made it clear he was. Remember, this was initially just going to be Prussia, a substate of the HRE v Pomerania. But then a legitimately WWI-esque situation ensued where because of roleplay events Poland was somehow allowed into the war, prompting the rest of the Empire to join in and call upon her alliances. I have no alliance with Denmark, just a trade treaty, and I don't even think the trade treaty has been posted yet. The only reason this "giga-alliance" got involved is as a reaction to sides previously uninvolved in the war suddenly joining on the side of Pomerania, requiring action.

P.S. As I'm apart of the moderation team, I have no say in decisions by upper management and the roleplay coordination team, meaning my affect on roleplay other then as a nation leader is little to none, so don't accuse me or my coworkers of bias.
People were legitimately complaining that because they literally called in other nations, the HRE could call itself and its allies in? They were complaining that they didn't have an advantage over Prussia?

Pav33

Helper
Staff member
Helper
Sep 30, 2019
People were legitimately complaining that because they literally called in other nations, the HRE could call itself and its allies in? They were complaining that they didn't have an advantage over Prussia?
Give me the link to the forum thread that says Pomerania and Poland signed an alliance before the war declaration. They didn't. And since that isn't fair, the Holy Roman Empire and her allies were allowed to be called in. That's not complaining for a legitimate reason, it's complaining because they made poor decisions without assessing the consequences.

choochoo500

May 13, 2020
MA
Give me the link to the forum thread that says Pomerania and Poland signed an alliance before the war declaration. They didn't. And since that isn't fair, the Holy Roman Empire and her allies were allowed to be called in. That's not complaining for a legitimate reason, it's complaining because they made poor decisions without assessing the consequences.
Exactly. It's dumb.